ATLANTIC CITY — In conjunction with the eighth annual Atlantic City Beer (& Music) Festival Friday and Saturday, April 5-6, the Viking Cooking School at Harrah’s Resort — Atlantic City’s premier hands-on cooking classroom — will host nightly food and beer pairings with Brooklyn Brewery, Goose Island Brewery, and celebrated author and beer enthusiast Gary Monterosso for three days, Monday through Wednesday, April 7-9.
“The Viking Cooking School Atlantic City has a reputation for creating innovative, experimental, and desirable classes, and our April schedule featuring three beer specific classes is no different,” says Robert Schoell, executive chef of Harrah’s and Showboat Atlantic City.
“Over the last decade breweries like Brooklyn and Goose Island have really risen to prominence. Combine that with the consummate expertise of Gary Monterosso (pictured below right, with his book Artisan Beer) and you have an all-star lineup.”
Class details are below. Visit harrahsresort.com and click the “Things To Do” link to find more on the Viking Cooking School.
Atlantic City Beer and Music Festival Brooklyn Brewery Class
• Sunday, April 7, beginning 4pm
• $49 per person
• Menu Highlights: Local 1 Beer paired with Crawfish Étouffée in Miniature Phyllo Cups; Local 2 Beer paired with Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese with Smoked Ham, Jalapenos and English Cheddar; Sorachi Beer paired with Smoked Salmon “Nachos” on Wonton Chips with Herbed Crème Fraiche, Scallions, Red Onions and Red Peppers; IPA Beer paired with Spicy Jumbo Lump Crab, Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Homemade Chili Rubbed Pita Chips and Purple Potato Chips; Local 2 Beer paired with Chocolate and Cherry Fondue.
• History: Founded in 1988, Brooklyn Brewery has made quite a name for itself over the last few years, literally quintupling in size and distributing to over 25 states and 20 countries. Their year-round, seasonal, and specialty brews embody the life, tradition and culture of the New York communities that surround them and epitomize the American craft brewery.
Atlantic City Beer and Music Festival Goose Island Class
• Monday, April 8, beginning 6pm
• $49 per person
• Menu Highlights: Sofie Beer paired with Edamame Puree in Wonton Cup topped with Ahi Tuna; Matilda Beer paired with Individual Seafood Pot Pie; Pepe Nero beer paired with Homemade Spiced Sausage Sliders with Pepe Nero Caramelized Onions and Black Pepper Fries; Père Jacques Beer paired with Malted Cookie and Caramel Ice Cream Sandwiches.
• History: Founded in 1988, Goose Island was the brainchild of native Chicagoan John Hall. Hall felt he could create a beer even better than the ones he experienced on his travels throughout Europe. The public has agreed. Goose Island offers guests over 50 distinct craft brews and is located next to historic Wrigley Field.
Atlantic City Beer and Music Festival — Gary Monterosso Beer Class
• Tuesday, April 9, beginning at 6pm
• $65 per person (includes Monterosso’s book Artisan Beer)
• Menu Highlights: TBA
• Biography: Monterosso is an award-winning writer, who has written for several national and regional publications. He currently appears on the History Channel special The Epic History of Everyday Things, and regularly appears on popular television programs, lending his insight and knowledge about the world of beer.