Hard Rock Casino Gets Six-Month Delay
Developers of The Hard Rock Casino were granted a six-month delay Wednesday in building a “boutique casino” on the Boardwalk by the Casino Control Commission.
Construction had been expected to start in July, but officials for Hard Rock International, owned by the Seminole Indian tribe of Florida, say they are still seeking environmental permits for the beach-side project.
The company was expected to put up an initial $1 million payment by Thursday, and start work by July 15.
“I wish I could say this project was a done deal; we’re not quite ready to say that yet,” said Nicholas Casiello, a lawyer representing Hard Rock according to CBS News. “We are working hard to bring it to fruition and be successful.”
He told the CCC the company is still in the midst of getting a crucial approval from the state Department of Environmental Protection for a Coastal Area Facility Review Act, governing what can and cannot be built along the shoreline.
Part of the delay stems from the intensive us of the beach planned for the project, Hard Rock officials say. Plans call for a pool, a café for afternoon barbeques and an outdoor entertainment area.
Hard Rock now has until Sept. 12 to apply for a casino license and post the $1 million deposit. It must start construction by Sept. 11, 2013, and complete the first phase by Jan. 15, 2015.